Sunday, June 24, 2007

I carried a watermelon.

(I just got home and had to write this before the details were slept away...more on the rest of the day is forthcoming, including some photos, to be sure.)
So as a great conclusion to one of the best birthdays ever, I decided to throw caution to the wind and go with my co-worker Maria and her friends to a club that has latin music every Saturday night. I was, of course, one of maybe 5 non-latino people in the place, so as the blond-haired, blue-eyed American that I am, I already stood out like a sore thumb. I was driving, so I wasn't able to have the drink that would have loosened me up the requisite amount. Combine those factors with not having ANY knowledge of latin dancing, other than "lots of hips," and you get me, faltering through a merengue, a rhumba, a salsa, and something else that was just lots of twirling. At the end of the night, I proudly proclaimed "I carried a watermelon" and accepted the fact that I don't know how to dance but I can laugh at myself just enough to not let myself spoil my good time. It is my birthday after all. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

...like in Dirty Dancing? Who played the Patrick Swayze character?