Tuesday, September 23, 2008

sports

In the past, oh, about 2 years, I've found myself becoming increasingly interested in sports. I've always had a certain amount of interest in the goings on of the athletic field (no pun intended), as well as a certain degree of interest in participating in sports. But about 2 years ago, I really got into watching and following, particularly, football. I attribute this growth to my dear friend Andrea, who is a die-hard Indianapolis Colts fan. I believe that it was her wonderful influence that boosted my interest from that of casual observer to excited follower. This is not to say that I'm a crazy fan, such as Jimmy Fallon modeled in "Fever Pitch" or as Chris (the bf) models with his love for the Vikings. But it is to say that I have an interest and knowledge to participate in sports related conversations with some degree of authority and don't feel totally in the dark about what's being said.
My professional sporting attendance has been primarily contained within baseball. I think I've been to 5 major league ballparks, and games too numerous to count on two hands. I've been to professional hockey games (two, to be exact), and I've seen two professional basketball games in two different cities. I've even seen an international soccer match. But I had never seen a pro football game...until a week ago.
The Colts were coming to town, and I bought tickets. I went to the Metrodome in Minneapolis, MN, I bought a dome dog, I wore my blue and white. :) It was a very fun time. Quite different from other sporting events I've gone to. Vikings fans are die-hard. They filled the dome with a deafening roar, to make Peyton unable to call plays very well and to cheer on the scoring. They also filled the dome with booing at the drop of a hat though, for a bad play call or a fumbled ball. They can turn on their own like that!
And the end of the story is that the Colts won, 18-15, and that Chris and I are still speaking.

No comments: